Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

The ergonomics and aesthetics of the command line are not always reflected
in programming languages, because the environments are not the same.
Commands needed to be typed on a teletype console in the middle of the
night to fix problems.  Programs could be developed at leisure, with
fancy non-paper-spewing terminals, and with editors that would let you
move the cursor back to previous lines at will to make corrections before
finally submitting the program for compilation.

Yes, but with 300 bits terminal you probably want to type "execv" instead of "CreateProcess"
(the latter is roughly equivalent of "fork+exec" from the Windows API)

For some reason "old" languages like "C" do not use long names and "modern" languages like C# and Java do.
Compare "time()" with "System.currentTimeMillis()" :)

As such, the greater concerns with a programming language are making it
easy to express your algorithm, and easy to understand existing code.

I agree. This is why functional-like syntax-sugar becomes more and more popular:
In "Kotlin" you can write ``someArray.sortedArray().joinToString(",")`` and it will take lots of lines to rewrite it in imperative style.

Conciseness gives a much smaller benefit, and is not prized nearly as
highly, except among bored kids.

I believe this is because we now have smart IDEs with code completion (even for "vim" we have "ectags"!).
But 45 years ago conciseness was much more important.

In one of the Apple frameworks they have a class called "INGetAvailableRestaurantReservationBookingDefaultsIntentResponse"
Imagine someone typing it manually on a slow connection and 80x25 screen.