Re: Hardware requirements between Debian 9 and 10

Am 10.03.21 um 01:18 schrieb Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z:

Well, I could try to wait a little with Debian 9 as I did with Windows 7.

That thing of no software updates is very weird.
Windows 7 is many years old yet I can still use the latest version of Firefox.
Isn't there a way to update user programs without updating
the operating system itself.  I read there was something called backports,
but the warning about instability just terrifies me;
I know more or less how to fix Windows, but not Debian.

Of course, you can manually download Firefox from the official Website and use it on a older system. It will probably work for a few years until Firefox needs a lib which the old Version does not have.

But using the version of Firefox from Debian is much more comfortable, as it simply just works :)

Cant you just upgrade the RAM? My Intel Atom N550 netbook supports 2GB - unfortunately the maximum by this processor. As others already said, the main problem is the Browser itself. I discovered my Firefox needs 1,4GB for just an empty page (and some plugins like Adblock and NoScript) after startup. So with the rest of the system needing <= 512MB, 2GB still works as minimum requirement.