Re: Hardware requirements between Debian 9 and 10

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 18:30:15 -0400
Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z <santiagopinth@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm new to GNU/Linux systems.  I would like to know
> why the RAM requirements showed here:
> https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/ch03s04.en.html
> are double the size of those displayed here:
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/ch03s04.html.en

Curious. You seem to have hit two different version of the same page,
with one change.

> Excuse my ignorance, I have a bit old laptop and I don't know if it
> would be better
> to have Debian 9 so I can, possibly, load KDE on it, or instead
> Debian 10 but having to limit myself to lightweight applications only.

Tell us more about your laptop. Have you tried booting a Debian live CD
on it?

I have a Lenovo R51, with 1.2 GB of physical memory, and it runs at an
acceptable pace. However, I use XFCE rather than KDE. It is a much
lighter weight desktop and that helps in a constrained environment. You
might consider that.

I have four FIT-PC 1s, each with 223Mi of main memory, and they do just
fine headerless (with no desk-top). So you should be able to safely
undershoot the higher requirement version.

I recommend against Debian 9, as it is getting old. I generally
recommend keeping to the current Debian release for security reasons.

root@dragon:~# free -h
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           1.2Gi       306Mi       142Mi       6.0Mi       803Mi       771Mi
Swap:          975Mi       4.0Mi       971Mi
Total:         2.2Gi       311Mi       1.1Gi
root@dragon:~#

> Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you could give me.
>
> PS: If I'm not using the mailing list properly, let me know,
> I never used any before.

You are doing fine so far.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?