Re: Hardware requirements between Debian 9 and 10

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 19:44:44 -0400
Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z <santiagopinth@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I recommend against Debian 9, as it is getting old. I generally
> > recommend keeping to the current Debian release for security
> > reasons.
>
> Hmm, I thought that Debian 9 received enough security updates, and it
> still have LTS and ELTS remaining.  I don't think it is older than
> Windows 7 (from 2007, if I remember well)

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. You are correct that 9 is still
getting support, especially security updates. However, older versions
of Debian don't get newer versions of the software. Not all security
fixes can be backported. So there is a slow, imperceptible gap between
older versions and newer. You are almost certainly just fine on 9 now,
and will be until LTS support ends. But 10 will be more secure at some
point. Right now, it's a judgment call you'll have to make.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/