Hardware requirements between Debian 9 and 10

Hello.

I'm new to GNU/Linux systems.  I would like to know
why the RAM requirements showed here:
https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/ch03s04.en.html
are double the size of those displayed here:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/ch03s04.html.en

Excuse my ignorance, I have a bit old laptop and I don't know if it would be better
to have Debian 9 so I can, possibly, load KDE on it, or instead Debian 10
but having to limit myself to lightweight applications only.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

PS: If I'm not using the mailing list properly, let me know,
I never used any before.