Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

> Wikipedia [1] leans towards the derivation from "user":
>
>   usr   The "user file system": originally the directory holding
>         user home directories,[15] but already by the Third Edition
>         of Research Unix, ca. 1973, reused to split the operating
>         system's programs over two disks [...]
>
> ...and as usual they have references to follow, which I'm too lazy to
> do now (as usual ;-)
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usr
>
>  - t

It's what I'm trying to say, it looks like something,
because someday ago it was, but it is something else.

With whole respect to UNIX, do we really need backward
compatibility with it, or something alike?

I saw another directory called "etc" that sounds like "etcetera"
but appears to be "configurations".  What does "etc" mean?  Again, I'm not trying to be destructively critical, just asking.