Re: Could KDE work adequately on a PC with 4 GB of RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo processor @ 2.33 GHz?

El 10/03/2021 07:53, "Marco Möller" <talby@debianlists.mobilxpress.net> escribió:

> On 10.03.21 04:34, Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I would like to install Debian 10 with the KDE Plasma task
>> on a PC with 4 GB of RAM and Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33 GHz,
>> it doesn't have a GPU.
>> Do you think it would run without problems
>> or would it be slow and laggy?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your answers.
>>
> I am happily using KDE Plasma on such a system as my daily system with the following restrictions:
> (1) The L2 cache of your CPU should have 3 MiB or more; with only 2 MiB it is not always responsive as wished, and with only 1 MiB it is due to low responsiveness in my experience not usable anymore; the number of CPU cores, threads and frequency in my experience are not the key factors for a responsive = smoothly usable system;
> (2) You might want to limit or deactivate the automatic indexing provided by "baloo", configurable also in the System Settings GUI under "Search" in subcategories "File Search" and "KRunner"; right after installation it wants to index all your system, and the system might in this state not be responsive for some 2 days; I therefore deactivate this as soon as possible, get the rest of my system set up and usable, and only later, when I can leave the system run for a weekend without the need to interactively work with it, I reactivate baloo features again, but only the ones for which I indeed know that I want to use them; once the initially very system consuming indexing is done, this baloo provided search "accelerator" does not impact responsiveness anymore; it continues in the background to smoothly update the indexing of newly added content without interfering with the actions called in the foreground by the user;
> (3) I am sorry having to suggest even as an enthusiastic KDE user, that you might want to avoid installing the KDE PIM suite related apps like KMail; although I loved the design of its GUI and work flow a lot, it was not only slowing down the responsiveness of the desktop often, but also crashed too often; this experience is from 5 and from 2.5 years ago; after this bad experiences and Thunderbird meanwhile being very well maintained again, I am not going to give KMail another try and will very satisfied stay with Thunderbird for email, calendar and address book;
>
> I finally 2.5 years ago came from long time back in the past GNOME usage, then Xfce, then Openbox, then LXDE, then LXQt, then LXQt with kwin usage to KDE Plasma and confirm that KDE Plasma is very competitive on memory and speed. I do not see any reason for not using it on old machines, see my system specifications attached below. You will see that I am on KDE Plasma as currently offered in "Debian/testing - bullseye" and do not know about the very newest version 5.21.
>
> Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux
> KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.5
> KDE Frameworks Version: 5.78.0
> [...]

Thanks for your comprehensive explanation.  It looks very fine then.
Since you're using Debian from a USB, the results might be
even better if the system were entirely on the hard disk.

My last doubt is if should use Debian 10 with KDE Plasma or Debian Bullseye instead.
Apparently, only the newer versions of KDE Plasma have the performance boost.