Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On Du, 07 mar 21, 16:36:34, Dan Hitt wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 4:25 PM IL Ka <kazakevichilya@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> The reason for the two networks is that my modem-router is electrically
> >> incompatible with one of my computers.
> >>
> > hmm, I never heard about such things)
> > Is your electrical grounding configured correctly?
> >
> > In my country some old apartments do not have third (ground) wire. I've
> > seen a lot of glitches because of that.
> >
> > Have you tried to install an ethernet switch?
> >

> yes i did, and it did not work --- just the fact that the router was in
> contact with the incompatible model even through a switch was enough to
> make it malfunction.  :(

This should[1] eliminate any "electrical" problems.

Based on the (limited) information I'd rather suspect the router has
(probably very buggy) support for some of the Apple-specific network
stuff.

It might help to simply disable anything in the router's configuration
related to file sharing, streaming, backup, etc.

[1] famous last words ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei