Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On Du, 07 mar 21, 13:56:03, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> Another important consideration is memory -- non-ECC vs. ECC.  Desktop
> >> stuff has the former, workstation and server stuff done right has the
> >> latter.  STFW "memory error", "bit rot" and related.  I prefer computers
> >> with ECC memory.
> >   it's a really poor choice that that did not become standard
> > just because manufacturers wanted to save a few $.
>
> IIUC the reason is not "to save a few bucks" but to segment the market
> such that ECC products can be sold at much higher prices.

It seems AMD Ryzen CPUs do support ECC, but it's not validated (which is
why it won't be mentioned in the official specs).

The motherboard needs support for it as well, e.g. I'm eying the ASRock
B550M Steel Legend for a fan-less build (unfortunately the Ryzen 3
4300GE (35W TDP) is nowhere to be found :( )

Kind regards,
Andrei