Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 11:01 AM David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
On 3/7/21 9:55 AM, Dan Hitt wrote:

> I indeed use ethernet-over-usb currently, and
> it is fast enough for me.  But if i had a second port, it would be a little
> less cluttered, so i'd like to do it if it is not too costly and doesn't
> interfere with other goals. :)

Will the new computer connect to two Ethernet networks?  Why?

Thanks David for your mail.

The new computer will be connected to 2 ethernet networks (conceivably more).

The reason for the two networks is that my modem-router is electrically incompatible with one of my computers.  That computer freezes or otherwise misbehaves when one of its ethernet ports is on a network which also has the modem-router.  So i need to have 2 networks because one of my computers is incompatible with my modem-router: one network contains the modem router, and one network contains the incompatible computer, and all the other hosts are on both networks.

Thanks for the rest of your message, and everything else you have written in this thread, and thanks also everybody else for all this info which i am trying to digest.

dan

On 3/7/21 10:02 AM, Dan Hitt wrote:

 >> Are you comfortable plugging together components to build a
 >> machine, or do you want to pay for the convenience of having
 >> someone else do it?

 > I'm comfortable with plugging the components together if it's easy

I built homebrew desktops using Antec tower cases and Intel desktop
boards for many years.  The last was based on a Sonata chassis with an
included 500 W PSU.  It's very easy to add/ remove drives and has low
noise features -- the four internal 3.5" drive bays feature vibration
isolation grommets, the main cooling fan is large diameter with
selectable RPM, the PSU fan is speed controlled, etc..  An Intel
single-socket ATX server board and Antec "silent" tower chassis would be
a good starting point.  I would buy a new chassis, rather than used; so
that no parts are missing.

David