Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On 3/7/21 7:24 PM, IL Ka wrote:

    The reason for the two networks is that my modem-router is
    electrically incompatible with one of my computers.

hmm, I never heard about such things)
Is your electrical grounding configured correctly?

In my country some old apartments do not have third (ground) wire. I've seen a lot of glitches because of that.

Have you tried to install an ethernet switch?

You can connect your modem-router to the ethernet switch, and connect all PCs to this switch. It may help.

Or you can mix and match. I have a router AND a switch, because the router does not have enough ports. In my case, I paid no attention to what is connected to what, and everything works. In your case, you might want to connect the complaining computer to the switch, and everything else to the router directly, if there are enough ports. This may work better--maybe the problem really is something in common to the
computer and something else that's plugged into the router.
--doug