Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> writes:

> Also ip a. Someday you may no longer have arp:
> <https://dougvitale.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/deprecated-linux-networking-commands-and-their-replacements/>

Well, it's been about a decade since that was written but not much has
changed. One issue is, ifconfig shows only one address per interface
while you can today have more. I was bitten by this last year, I
borrowed a port from what I thought was a co-worker's desktop
switch. Turns out it was actually a router with the end result that my
dev board somehow ended up with two IP addresses, one from that router
and another from the general network. Connections didn't work that well
but ifconfig showed everything was just fine and I had the expected ip
address.

Finally, ip addr showed the actual situation and ip addr del mumble and
some other commands fixed my connectivity issues.