Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On 3/7/21 9:55 AM, Dan Hitt wrote:

I indeed use ethernet-over-usb currently, and
it is fast enough for me.  But if i had a second port, it would be a little
less cluttered, so i'd like to do it if it is not too costly and doesn't
interfere with other goals. :)

Will the new computer connect to two Ethernet networks?  Why?

On 3/7/21 10:02 AM, Dan Hitt wrote:

>> Are you comfortable plugging together components to build a
>> machine, or do you want to pay for the convenience of having
>> someone else do it?

> I'm comfortable with plugging the components together if it's easy

I built homebrew desktops using Antec tower cases and Intel desktop boards for many years. The last was based on a Sonata chassis with an included 500 W PSU. It's very easy to add/ remove drives and has low noise features -- the four internal 3.5" drive bays feature vibration isolation grommets, the main cooling fan is large diameter with selectable RPM, the PSU fan is speed controlled, etc.. An Intel single-socket ATX server board and Antec "silent" tower chassis would be a good starting point. I would buy a new chassis, rather than used; so that no parts are missing.

David