Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

Dan Hitt composed on 2021-03-07 17:01 (UTC-0800):

> IL Ka wrote:

>>> [Although, i guess i do not know the mac addr of the modem-router  --- is
>>> there a user-level move i can make on my debian box to see what the mac
>>> addr of my modem-router is?

>> $ ping [your_rounter_ip]
>> $ arp -a

>> you should see a list of all your ethernet neighbours along with their ip
>> and mac addresses.

> Awesome, thanks IL!  So now i also know my modem-router's mac addr.  :)

Also ip a. Someday you may no longer have arp:
<https://dougvitale.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/deprecated-linux-networking-commands-and-their-replacements/>
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/