Re: How automatic are backport package updates?

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> You can get that behavior from apt-get by adding the --with-new-pkgs
> option, but it's hard to remember and hard to type.  I suspect most
> apt-get users just bump it up to "apt-get dist-upgrade" whenever there's
> a new kernel ABI or whatever.

  correct.  since i preload my shell commands when i login for
me the difference is between !2 and !3, !4 does the purge of
autoinstalled packages and !1 does the apt-get update.

  these commands go in my .bashrc for root.

=====
history -c
history -s "apt-get update& fetchnews&"
history -s "apt-get upgrade"
history -s "apt-get dist-upgrade"
history -s "apt-get autoremove --purge"
=====

  after i've seen a new kernel come through i clean up the oldest
one so i don't have that hanging around wasting space.

  i don't run unstable though for much these days other than noting
when a new firefox release comes along.

  songbird