Re: How automatic are backport package updates?

[this is more suitable for debian-user, adding Cc: accordingly]

On Vi, 08 ian 21, 23:21:32, Gregg Nemas wrote:
> Micha,
>
> Thanks for your efforts.
>
> I am considering switching to Debian Stable from Fedora (which no
> longer supports 32-bit systems) and was wondering whether Debian
> Stable + Backports might be a reasonable approximation.

Availability in backports of any given package from testing is subject
to Someone (not necessarily the "regular" Maintainer) doing the work.
There is no guarantee.

In practice several important packages are updated quite regularly:
linux, systemd, etc.

You might want to check the history of specific packages you are
interested in at https://tracker.debian.org.

> The only other
> 32-bit choices seem to be the rolling distributions Tumbleweed and
> Archlinux32 (which does not seem to be getting updated much), or
> switching to Debian Unstable.

Debian unstable can be quite usable, provided that you are willing to

  1. Invest the time to familiarise yourself with APT and friends (dpkg,
  aptitude, apt-listbugs, etc.), the Debian Bug Tracking System (BTS),
  etc.

  2. Can deal with unexpected issues, ranging from some package randomly
  crashing to an unbootable system (rare, but does happen).

After all, unstable users are something like beta testers for the
distribution ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei