Re: How automatic are backport package updates?

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 11:03:54AM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> In my experience 'apt upgrade' is sufficient for most (1 in 10 or even
> more) upgrades, even on unstable.

I think you made a typo somewhere in there.

> Only when APT mentions packages being kept on hold it is necessary to
> *try* 'apt full-upgrade' or 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

Do note that "apt upgrade" includes the option to install new packages
if necessary, whereas "apt-get upgrade" does not.  This is an important
difference between the two.

You can get that behavior from apt-get by adding the --with-new-pkgs
option, but it's hard to remember and hard to type.  I suspect most
apt-get users just bump it up to "apt-get dist-upgrade" whenever there's
a new kernel ABI or whatever.