Re: How automatic are backport package updates?

[removing -backports from Cc:]

On Sb, 09 ian 21, 14:48:43, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jan 2021, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> > Debian unstable can be quite usable, provided that you are willing to
> >
> >   1. Invest the time to familiarise yourself with APT and friends (dpkg,
> >   aptitude, apt-listbugs, etc.), the Debian Bug Tracking System (BTS),
>
> Right, but the #1 maxime for “sudo apt-get --purge dist-upgrade” in
> unstable is to never just press Enter (also to *not* run unattended-
> updates). Other than that, and the “let’s better skip updating right
> now”, unstable has been *extremely* usable as a to-go daily distro
> for years.

In my experience 'apt upgrade' is sufficient for most (1 in 10 or even
more) upgrades, even on unstable.

Only when APT mentions packages being kept on hold it is necessary to
*try* 'apt full-upgrade' or 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

Kind regards,
Andrei