Re: How automatic are backport package updates?

Let's say I want to run 'testing' to be more on the edge to get the latest and greatest of packages and to incrementally always be on top of updates rather than having to do large release updates.  But from time to time there is a security update to a package which is newer, or if something specific is broken, I may want to go back to a specific version of something.  What should I put in my sources.list?

I read all the argments here for running stable vs sid and I kind of like being in the middle.  I update my systems every few weeks or more if necessary.  I used to run stable+backports but there were things that just took ages to get into backports, or never made it into backports, but installing them from testing would suck in so many dependencies that I would end up running testing or some weird hybrid.  I am considering changing things around though and going back to running stable + backports and occasionally pulling something in from testing but I am not sure yet, the dependency nightmare still looms in my mind.  Honestly I have been running testing for about 10 years now in production and have had very few problems.

As I read about this, it seems like it's not going to be possible to run testing and pull in security fixes.  Is it correct that security fixes can only be applied to stable releases?

Or are the backports now so well up to date with testing that I shouldn't worry about this and move back to a stable release?

Michael Grant