Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

Michael Stone composed on 2020-12-30 14:10 (UTC-0500):

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 01:35:19PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

> Wasting power running obsolete equipment is a personal hobby, not an
> environmental benefit. If you're really concerned about generating new
> waste, then repurpose someone else's discards. There's nothing obviously
> virtuous about keeping 10 year old equipment running when 5 year old
> equipment is heading to the landfill; the net amount of ewaste is the
> same.

Do you send your car to a recycler every 5 years too? Your house? Does 5 years of
using a little less power equate to power and resources consumed creating new
equipment? If it works, it shouldn't need fixing, or replacing. If I spent what OP
spent to get the fastest processor and triple channel RAM, I would have expected
no less life than he's gotten so far.

It's very disappointing software has gotten so bloated that NVME and 2^4 genuine
cores are becoming a necessity just to maintain performance. e.g.: Firefox
download sizes from Mozilla.org:
1.0	 8223869 2004
2.0.0.20 9710348 2008
3.6.28	10773449 2012	32 bit
4.0.1	15581202 2011	64 bit
10.0.12	18999452 2013	first ESR series
17.0.11	23590858 2013
24.8.1	28372626 2014
31.8.0	38997268 2015
38.8.0	46359449 2016
45.9.0	51807116 2017
52.9.0	57795546 2018
60.9.0	53465985 2019
68.12.0 64977721 2020-08
78.6.0	70888611 2020-12
84.0.1	76247713 2020-12 not ESR
plus RAM requirement:
"512 MB for the 32-bit version and 2 GB for the 64-bit version" for Wintel hdwe.

and kernel:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/page/graph/png/Linux_kernel/0/e256b7025441726a29cc23582e4a523fc7105059.png>
58886019 May 2017 4.10.13
58571199 Aug 2017 4.11.8
64982767 Aug 2017 4.12.9
61065066 Nov 2017 4.13.12
62547184 Jan 2018 4.14.15
64949060 Apr 2018 4.15.13
66152028 Jun 2018 4.16.12
66781264 Aug 2018 4.17.14
66510600 Oct 2018 4.18.15
67377492 Dec 2018 4.19.12
67350588 Mar 2019 4.20.13
67262744 May 2019 5.0.13
68560788 Jul 2019 5.1.16
70516856 Sep 2019 5.2.14
81933836 Dec 2019 5.3.12
79660308 Feb 2020 5.4.14
80761600 Mar 2020 5.5.13
82639300 Jun 2020 5.6.14
83704540 Aug 7    5.7.12
87032455 Oct 6    5.8.15
86296136 Dec 13   5.9.14
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/