Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

On 2020-12-29 at 13:05, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Ma, 29 dec 20, 06:52:12, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> That would indicate that this will have been using the ISOLINUX
>> boot path, because as previously noted, this motherboard has a
>> BIOS; if my memory is correct it predates UEFI entirely,
>
> According to Wikipedia in 2011 major vendors launched several
> consumer-oriented motherboards with UEFI. As far as I recall your
> board is from 2012.

No - the most recent BIOS update for this board was released in 2012. I
think I bought it in 2010 or 2011; the purchase would have been on the
basis of a review on The Tech Report (which was in full swing at the
time), and the motherboard-review article for that model on that site is
dated October of 2010.

I'd have to dig deeper into my archives to identify the exact purchase
date, but I don't believe it was as late as 2012.

>> and at the very least I've seen zero indication that it has one.
>
> BTW, who about specifying exactly what motherboard you have and card
> you bought, unless it's confidential ;)

I thought I already did indicate the motherboard. It's this one (except
purchased new, not used):

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813131665

Asus Sabertooth X58.

The GPU I'm trying to get working is:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNSP41M

> Maybe some hardware expert (not me) reading the list spots something
>  useful in the specs.

I doubt there's anything there to be found, but one never does know.

--
   The Wanderer