Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

Michael Stone composed on 2020-12-29 22:37 (UTC-0500):

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 21:42:11 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>>Boards with 2 M.2 NVME and 6 SATA aren't at all uncommon, but finding one with
>>those and dual eSATA and Firewire and USB-C and Triple Channel and PS/2 and S/PDIF
>>and dual PCIeX16 slots and PCIeX4 (or 8) slot and dual PCIeX1 slots and PCI slot
>>and 8 channel audio ain't too easy.

> Right, you won't find many motherboards with a bunch of obsolete
> interfaces. Adapters are cheap if you have some old device you don't
> want to part with (I have a firewire card for an old scanner) but all of
> that? Seems unnecessary.

So people are supposed to discard or replace their older external devices just
because something else came along that may or may not actually be as well suited
to task?

Obsolete, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder/user. I want my external
disks on the same bus as my internal disks, not the USB bus, which when used for
disks too commonly results in musical device names, and reboots that need to be
redone because of a USB stick that failed to get removed first.

I still prefer floppies (and OM) to USB sticks when appropriate to data size. They
have room to write on them what they contain, equivalent to DVDs and CDs. Smaller,
like faster, isn't necessarily better either.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/