Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 01:35:19PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
Michael Stone composed on 2020-12-30 08:56 (UTC-0500):
On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 10:58:38PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
So people are supposed to discard or replace their older external devices just
because something else came along that may or may not actually be as well suited
to task?

Basically, yes.

Must be nice to have an unlimited money supply, and be a happy conforming member
of throwaway society. If it was good enough before, it should be good enough until
it breaks. Waste not, want not.

If those are concerns, don't upgrade at all...we're talking about the best way to upgrade a system, and I'll continue to maintain that it does not make sense to seek out a new motherboard with a plethora of obsolete interfaces in order to build a new system around ancient parts.

usable stuff, preserving the environment as best they can, seemingly a dying breed.

Wasting power running obsolete equipment is a personal hobby, not an environmental benefit. If you're really concerned about generating new waste, then repurpose someone else's discards. There's nothing obviously virtuous about keeping 10 year old equipment running when 5 year old equipment is heading to the landfill; the net amount of ewaste is the same.