Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

The Wanderer composed on 2020-12-28 18:31 (UTC-0500):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> IME, the problem with electrolytics was solved a decade or more ago
>> by switching motherboards to polys. The PS makers didn't and still
>> haven't done that AFAICT. GPU needing both 6 wire and 8 wire
>> dedicated power connectors smells like power hunger that an old PS
>> with tired caps couldn't handle, notwithstanding its ostensible
>> overprovisioning-rated output.

> Given that I've already observed different behavior from the system when
> the GPU isn't plugged in to power at all, would it still be worth
> pursuing this as an angle?

I consider the process preventive maintenance once the warranty has expired. After
8 years it might be overdue for cleaning anyway. If all the bases aren't covered,
the problem may never be discovered.

>> Most PSes only require 4 screws removed to get the cover off far
>> enough to inspect the usual cluster of candidate caps adjacent to
>> where most wires feeding out connect to the board.

> I'd probably have to disconnect and unmount the PSU to get it far enough
> out to remove any such thing, which would be doable but still a pain.

Absolutely removal from case would be necessary, but....

> It's also a modular unit, so rather than "wires feeding out" of the PSU
> itself there are connector ports, but I imagine that wouldn't make much
> difference once it was open.
Modular should make removal from case easier than with conventional PSes. However,
it could make it harder to visibly inspect the PS interior, maybe even harder just
to get the cover off. I never buy modulars.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/