Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

On 2020-12-28 at 07:55, The Wanderer wrote:

> On 2020-12-28 at 07:47, Anssi Saari wrote:
>
>> One thing came to my mind, do you have the appropriate aux power
>> connectors available and connected? Looks like the RX 5700 XT is
>> quite power hungry at 225 W max vs. 151 W with your old card.
>> Different connectors too (6 pin + 8 pin instead of 2x 6 pin). And
>> these cards can be quite picky about having appropriate power
>> connected.
>
> Yes - I noted the different power-connector requirements when I
> first installed the card, and I've had them in place on every swap-in
> since.
>
> If the card weren't getting its proper power, I'd expect anything
> from no video output at all to a warning light to a motherboard beep,
> none of which is happening.
>
> My PSU is overpowered for the system it's in, so I'm reasonably sure
> it's capable of handling the added load for the upgraded GPU without
> issues.

I can now basically confirm that this isn't the issue.

In my latest swap-out, to test the live-environment boot, I initially
forgot to connect the power cables to the graphics card. I got no vide
output at all, not even the POST screen, and from what reactions I was
getting I suspect it may not have been booting even invisibly.

The live-environment boot went nowhere; I got exactly the same hang
booting that way. I tested on the old GPU too for comparison, and it
worked there, although it brought up the GPU only in a low-resolution
basic mode because the necessary firmware for hardware acceleration with
that model isn't included in the Debian live images.

I could probably dig up a non-Linux-based bootable medium (if nothing
else, I have boot DVDs for Windows 10 install at my workplace, though I
certainly wouldn't go through with the installation!), but I'm not at
all sure I'd get any different result.

At this point, I think my remaining options are as follows:

[1] Get in touch with the people who made the motherboard, and ask them
for a BIOS update to potentially get this working. Long odds of any
success there, given that the last update for this motherboard model was
eight-plus years ago, and if I'm not mistaken CPUs for the CPU socket on
this motherboard are no longer even being manufactured.

[2] Get in touch with the people who make the GPU (either AMD or MSI,
the latter being the ones who did this particular card with the
underlying processor) and ask them for advice.

[3] Give up on getting this working with my current system, and start
looking for parts to build a newer one that would be more likely to be
compatible with this.

Option 3 would be the most certain to work, but also the most expensive
and unwieldy, particularly given that the hardware site I relied on for
parts reviews when building past systems has died under financial
pressure and been sold to faceless investors who run clickbait articles
and don't engage with the community.

It's made worse by the fact that I'd rather not invest in more storage
devices so soon after building the current high-capacity RAID-6 array
which holds such things as /home, and I don't want to reinstall onto the
current pair of arrays and have to set back up my various installed
programs et cetera, but I also don't trust things to work right if I
move the existing hard drives en masse to a new hardware environment -
and even if that *would* work, my potential motherboard selection would
be limited by the need for a minimum of seven SATA ports.

(And of course I'd rather not discard my $1000-plus CPU just because the
motherboard doesn't want to work with newer GPUs, even if it's less
performant and more power-hungry than CPUs which can be bought today for
less.)

--
   The Wanderer