Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

On 2020-12-28 at 16:59, Felix Miata wrote:

> 4-subscribe to one or both Grub mailing lists to ask for help.

The problem occurs with the live-boot environment, which AFAICT is using
something other than GRUB to boot. Unless I'm mistaken about that boot
method, I'm now reasonably certain that this isn't GRUB-specific after
all.

> 5-Turn on UEFI if it's off, turn off if it's on, if you have a spare
> disk for making the switch, or your live media supports both. Grub's
> job is considerably different between the two.

As I indicated in the original post, this motherboard predates UEFI. (Or
at least predates the universality thereof.) It has an actual BIOS.

> 6-Use Knoppix as your live media. It boots with Syslinux instead of
> Grub.

I'm fairly sure the live environment I used (the amd64 image from
https://www.debian.org/CD/live/) does likewise. I do have some other
bootable media (of extremely primitive nature, graphics-wise) which I
know for a fact uses ISOLINUX or similar, and I could try one of those
if it might be fruitful...

> 7-RMA the 5700.

I'd be extremely hesitant to do that unless I know it's the problem.
Also, although I just unboxed this within the past week, I ordered it
more than a month ago; it's entirely possible they might not accept it
back now.

> Have you tried slowing down the CPU, disabling hyper-threading, or
> slowing down RAM?

No. All are possible options, but I'm nearly as hesitant to underclock
the system as I'd be to overclock it (I did run this overclocked at one
point, but that was within the first month or two I had the machine and
I decided the added performance wasn't worth the increased cooler noise).

I'm not sure I grasp why doing those things might help get things
working with a newer GPU, when the existing one works just fine with the
current settings.

> Have you run memtest86 lately,

No.

> or swapped RAM stick positions?

All 6 DIMM slots on this motherboard are occupied.The DIMMs come from a
pair of three-DIMM kits, such that the DIMMs in each kit were tested
pre-purchase with one another and confirmed to work; to the best of my
recollection, the DIMMs are in the slots such that the three from a
given kit are in the same memory channel. I'd be hesitant to go messing
with that without solid reason.

> Does your PS or motherboard have any swollen or leaky electrolytics?

Not that I've been able to detect. I obviously can't inspect the inside
of the PSU without in-depth surgery, but I did give the capacitors etc.
on the motherboard a once-over during the last swap-out, and didn't
notice anything apparently out of order.

--
   The Wanderer