Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

On 2020-12-27 at 02:51, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2020-12-26 18:44 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 2020-12-26 at 18:28, Felix Miata wrote:
>>
>>> I suggest a good place to start would be to goto
>>> /etc/default/grub and switch from whichever mode is employed to
>>> the other, either plain text to graphical, or vice versa, then
>>> regenerate grub.cfg and try booting.
>>
>> That's a good suggestion, except I don't see any way to do that in
>> the /etc/default/grub I have.
>>
>> The closest thing I see is
>>
>> # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
>> #GRUB_TERMINAL=console
>>
>> but that says it's for grub-pc only, i.e. the "legacy" version of
>> grub, whereas I'm running grub2.
>
> No, grub-pc is not the legacy version of grub, it is grub2 for
> legacy computers without EFI.  The version of grub2 for modern UEFI
> systems is grub-efi-amd64 which uses the framebuffer set up by the
> system's firmware (hence, no traditional text mode).

Ah, thanks for that correction; that does ring a bell now that you
mention it.

That would explain why this would be effective. I've made that change in
this file; as soon as I reach a point in my operations where shutting
down again is reasonable, I'll test to confirm that I can boot that way
with the old GPU (and what behavior difference there may be with that
change), and assuming it works will swap GPUs and see what I get.

I also want to make sure I have an up-to-date rescue environment on
external media, just in case I need to revert this change in order to
boot my current system again. Unlikely, but better to be safe than
sorry.

--
   The Wanderer