Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

On 2020-12-26 at 18:28, Felix Miata wrote:

> I suggest a good place to start would be to goto /etc/default/grub
> and switch from whichever mode is employed to the other, either plain
> text to graphical, or vice versa, then regenerate grub.cfg and try
> booting.

That's a good suggestion, except I don't see any way to do that in the
/etc/default/grub I have.

The closest thing I see is

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

but that says it's for grub-pc only, i.e. the "legacy" version of grub,
whereas I'm running grub2.

A bit of Googling suggests that

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

also supports a value of 'text' rather than a FOOxBAR resolution, but I
don't see that documented anywhere yet.

I don't expect such a change to be particularly risky, but I imagine if
I do somehow fail to boot after making it (e.g. if I specify a setting
that isn't actually supported), the solution would involve a live-boot
environment and possibly chrooting into the installed system.

> While in /etc/default/grub, if splash=silent is included, either
> remove it, or switch to splash=verbose.

It isn't.

From the little I've read up on regarding this in the meantime, I'd
expect this splash setting to be only regarding the post-GRUB-menu boot
process, which is beyond the point I've reached. For what it's worth,
I've long since intentionally disabled all "quiet" boot settings I'm
aware of.

> If the switch itself doesn't help, then try graphical after selecting
> some specific mode you know your display supports. I use
> video=1440x900 on cmdline most of the time for the vttys even when
> the display's native is 1920x1080, 1920x1200 or 2560x1440.

I'm not even getting to the GRUB command line; the hang is happening
before GRUB displays anything at all.

I may try specifying a resolution such as this to GRUB_GFXMODE, but I'm
not entirely certain that's relevant to the behavior I'm seeing,
although it would be plausible for it to be so.

--
   The Wanderer