Re: Replacement Email Client

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 04:18:40PM -0700, John Conover wrote:

> Has anyone:
>
>     1) ReBoot your machine.
>     2) login and launch claws-mail with the Dillo plugin,
>        and exit claws-mail
>     3) lsof -Pni > tempfile
>
> and near the end of tempfile is 10 process running from Dillo, even
> through claws-mail has exited, (all listeners, something like 50 MB of
> memory.)

Wow. 50 MB.

For reference, I have a (severely restrained, no javascript [1])
Firefox running. Just one tab open, showing just one jpeg from
XKCD [2]).

Top shows it as the (by far hungriest) memory user, with 263 MB.
Second, third and fourth are... WebContent, WebExtensions and
WebContent, which are Firefox too, just in disguise.

Adding those four together towers up to roughly half a gigabyte.
Even assuming that half of that is shared libs...

Oh, fifth is Emacs, with roughly 63 MB. But it has a 500K Org
mode file in its belly (so it's doing something useful).

How did we end here? How did we end up paying for the ad
industry's infrastrutcture, paying with our privacy, but
also with our real money, having to buy RAM and CPU power
just for their sake?

How do we get out of here?

Cheers
 - t