Re: Replacement Email Client

On 10/26/20 6:16 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 20:45:50 -0400
Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote:

On 10/25/20 8:28 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
I'm not referring to viewing HTML emails. I already can do that in
Claws-Mail using its Dillo plugin. I'm talking about filling in
forms, etc. that are part of the HTML email and sending just the
data without "replying" in the normal sense.  This is beyond Claws'
and Dillo's capabilities.  I have to use a real browser, log into
that particular web mail account (like gmail), click on that
particular email, etc. to do so.

I'm getting the sense that I may not be able to find a client that
can do that.
I don't remember ever getting an emailed form that was anything but
a link to a web page. Who is sending you emailed inline forms?
The ones I respond to are known to me and are legit --
organizations, businesses, government agencies, etc. -- that I do
business with.  To respond, I must switch to a web browser, login to
my email account (like gmail), find that particular email, and
enter the requested data either by keyboard, drop-down menu, buttons,
etc., then SUBMIT it.  This happens all within the email. I never get
forwarded to another web site. I always stay on the web mail page. As
far as I can tell only the data is sent. The email itself is not
replied to.  That is, there's nothing in the "Sent" folder.

Meaning no offense, I doubt it. I have been using email since before Gopher,
and I have literally never received an HTML  email with an embedded form
(that I opened, at least). I find it hard to believe that you get many of them.

I think you're getting normal email with a link to a form, but (as you say)
Dillo doesn't let you click the link, so you never realize what it is. Those
"rate us from 1-5" things are normally five different links to the same
online poll, with a parameter telling the page what rating you selected. If
You opened the links in an HTML-aware mailer like Mutt, you could just
select one of those to open the form in a browser.

At least, I would bet money that this is the case, at even odds.

(I must be old. My fingers wanted to type "Dilly".)

--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!