Free-services lead to increased RAM and CPU requirements (was: Re: Replacement Email Client)

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 04:35:46 AM tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> How did we end here? How did we end up paying for the ad
> industry's infrastrutcture, paying with our privacy, but
> also with our real money, having to buy RAM and CPU power
> just for their sake?

Assuming that is not a rhetorical question, or answering for posterity, it was
primarily by accepting the word "free" in their promises of free services at
face value.

> How do we get out of here?

Don't know.  It was / is a tradeoff.  For some of us, and with appropriate
protective measures, maybe it has been and still is a reasonable tradeoff.

Investigations started in the US congress (and, iirc, in the EC counterparts)
may lead to de-monopolizing some of those services.  I'm not sure that will
help all that much, or to say it another way, when that happens, those
companies will find more ways to try to achieve large profits (which, generally,
are at our expense).

I wouldn't mind seeing some discussion of appropriate ideas.