Re: Replacement Email Client

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 21:23:59 -0400
Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote:

> On 10/26/20 6:16 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 20:45:50 -0400
> > Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote:

> >> I don't remember ever getting an emailed form that was anything but
> >> a link to a web page. Who is sending you emailed inline forms?
> > The ones I respond to are known to me and are legit --
> > organizations, businesses, government agencies, etc. -- that I do
> > business with.  To respond, I must switch to a web browser, login to
> > my email account (like gmail), find that particular email, and
> > enter the requested data either by keyboard, drop-down menu,
> > buttons, etc., then SUBMIT it.  This happens all within the email.
> > I never get forwarded to another web site. I always stay on the web
> > mail page. As far as I can tell only the data is sent. The email
> > itself is not replied to.  That is, there's nothing in the "Sent"
> > folder.
>
> Meaning no offense, I doubt it. I have been using email since before
> Gopher, and I have literally never received an HTML  email with an
> embedded form (that I opened, at least). I find it hard to believe
> that you get many of them.

I don't know if there is a <form> or not.  Someone else suggested
that.  It may be javascript.  Never checked email's code all that
closely.  Next time I get one of those type emails, I'll look.

> I think you're getting normal email with a link to a form, but (as
> you say) Dillo doesn't let you click the link, so you never realize
> what it is. Those "rate us from 1-5" things are normally five
> different links to the same online poll, with a parameter telling the
> page what rating you selected. If You opened the links in an
> HTML-aware mailer like Mutt, you could just select one of those to
> open the form in a browser.

Yes, sometimes when I use a browser for these HTML emails and click on
something, a new tab with a new URL opens.  Sometime not. Next time,
I'll check the code.

Not that it matters all that much.  All I want is a lightweight email
client that works with HTML emails, too, so I don't have to switch back
and forth to a browser, login, etc. to get things done.