Re: Replacement Email Client

Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 21:23:59 -0400
> Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote:
>
> I don't know if there is a <form> or not.  Someone else suggested
> that.  It may be javascript.  Never checked email's code all that
> closely.  Next time I get one of those type emails, I'll look.
>
> > I think you're getting normal email with a link to a form, but (as
> > you say) Dillo doesn't let you click the link, so you never realize
> > what it is. Those "rate us from 1-5" things are normally five
> > different links to the same online poll, with a parameter telling the
> > page what rating you selected. If You opened the links in an
> > HTML-aware mailer like Mutt, you could just select one of those to
> > open the form in a browser.
>
> Yes, sometimes when I use a browser for these HTML emails and click on
> something, a new tab with a new URL opens.  Sometime not. Next time,
> I'll check the code.
>
> Not that it matters all that much.  All I want is a lightweight email
> client that works with HTML emails, too, so I don't have to switch back
> and forth to a browser, login, etc. to get things done.

I don't think you're going to get it.

You can't get everything right with a web page these days with
anything less than a second-rank browser. (First rank:
Chrome/Chromium, Firefox, IE/Edge/Chromium; second rank: Opera,
Brave, derivatives of first-rank and derivatives of old versions
of first-rank. Third-rank: everything else, including anything
that doesn't support modern JavaScript and HTML5.)

No browser in the first or second rank is light-weight.

QED.

You can:

- Use a webclient, including a very lightweight webclient like
  Rainloop. Rainloop literally does not store anything on the
  server side; it runs in your browser. It's great for small,
  well-organized IMAP accounts; terrible if you hoard millions
  of messages.

- Use a good MUA and resign yourself to occasionally sending an
  email to a browser. Despite your protestations of "logging
  in", having a browser display your email requires no such
  thing. The MUA saves the email to a file, then hands the file
  to the browser to open it.

- Write your own and make the world a better place!

-dsr-