Re: Please be respectful

On 10/15/2020 5:05 PM, Pierre-Elliott B�cue wrote:
Le mercredi 14 octobre 2020 � 02:12:45-0700, Weaver a �crit�:
On 14-10-2020 18:30, Christoph K. wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 23:06:55 -0700
Weaver wrote <weaver@riseup.net>:

"as I learnt to read years ago,"
It's appropriate sarcasm.

Disagreed.
It's simply disrespectful.

For those who require spoon feeding:

As is this comment, too.

Sarcasm can be fun sometimes, but I believe it's no appropriate way to
communicate on debian mailing lists. It can lead to misunderstandings and
people being hurt, apart from making a bad impressions on others reading
this list.

Please re-read the Debian Code of Conduct and consider being more polite:
https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct

Being polite is a standard that has to apply to all.
I consider the original post not to be.
To me I see an outstanding example of laziness from somebody who
obviously needs no consideration in the accessibility department.
Scrolling an alphabetically arranged file system doesn't even qualify as
trivial.

When the displayed file list contains hundreds or thousands of
files/directories, and you don't know the first letters of their name,
looking for a substring or a fuzzy pattern by hand with your eyes and
via scrolling qualifies as not-at-all trivial.

True enough, but then the same is true of a list of badly associated names, if not moreso.

It can be accomplished as quickly as you can move your hand.
The use of find and/or locate will dig up anything, no matter how deeply
hidden in a plethora of directories.

The question is about a GUI file manager with a specific feature, not
about a command line way of doing it.

The point - or my point anyway - is rather than seeking to tack on a whole bunch of poorly considered features to a poorly considered fundamental utility, well considered, powerful, highly configurable solutions such as "find" should be encouraged.

The debian-user list is a communication medium where each and any user
of Debian, from "newbie" to "expert" to ask questions and share their
knowledge about the project and its features.

Why talk about Debian, irrespective of what list this is, when a more powerful, simpler, more fundamental utility is available on *ALL* distros?

While many users are comfortable with "posting bugs" and "filing
issues", some are not, and are more used to ask for help. It's not

	Your point escapes me.

laziness, it's a state of mind. And you probably have relatives who do
the same.

Again, your point somewhat escapes me. Laziness is a state of mind, so your statement is simply nonsense. It is also in many cases fundamentally untrue that the outlook is not a result of laziness. Often it most certainly is. Sometimes it is not a result of laziness. Regardless, it is a limited and weak outlook.

If you have troubles with such users

I have trouble with such attitudes, particularly when it winds up badly impacting by ability to get things done. Every year I see Debian being degraded by a desire to cater to attitudes which should not be countenanced, let alone accommodated.

, you can just ignore their mails
and answer to the things that you feel are interesting for you. This
would spare you some time, and a part of the Community wouldn't feel
driven out by another one.

I am in no way concerned by who may or may not be driven out, and neither do these people for who you and others seem to have so much consideration. They want what they want, regardless of how foolish it might be or how it impacts those who want to have maximal control over their systems.

Being eager to live in a world where everyone is not the same, and where
people feel like using the Distribution I contribute to, I'd rather you
not chosing for me which user has a right to ask questions here.

Everyone should have a right to ask questions and to express their opinions. That includes Weaver, and if someone gets their feeling hurt over it, that is just tough. Do I think he too the best tack for expressing himself? No I do not. That in and of itself in no way either validates nor invalidates his point of view, which despite his rather poor means of expression nonetheless has a valid core.

Catering to noobs in any other than a very perfunctory fashion is quite simply a very, very bad idea. Catering to them at the expense of more experienced uses is simply and completely unacceptable. So, frankly, is catering to the unintelligent at the expense of the more intelligent.

I am not saying the "elite" are any more important than the "unwashed" as it were, but they are no less important, either, and certainly not merely due to their relative paucity of numbers.

My main point, however, is it is not impossible, or indeed even difficult to cater to both needs. All it requires is some thought and preparation. I will give an example. Suppose a developer is creating a utility called Frumplesticks. Now, he can create this as a very powerful CLI application with a lot of subtle variations or else with a text-based configuration file, or he can create a GUI, right?

WRONG!!! Create the fundamental utility with either CLI or text configuration (or both), and then create some sort of UI front end that cvers many of the most common features. Then anyone who feels uncomfortable using a CLI or text file can use FstxUI until they get more of a feel for the app, while the rest of us play with fxtxc and / or frumplesticks.conf. Along the way, anyone who started out with FstxUI can get more comfortable with the text based solutions.