Re: Please be respectful

Le jeudi 15 octobre 2020 à 19:10:00-0500, Leslie Rhorer a écrit :
> On 10/15/2020 5:05 PM, Pierre-Elliott B�cue wrote:

> > > Being polite is a standard that has to apply to all.
> > > I consider the original post not to be.
> > > To me I see an outstanding example of laziness from somebody who
> > > obviously needs no consideration in the accessibility department.
> > > Scrolling an alphabetically arranged file system doesn't even qualify as
> > > trivial.
> >
> > When the displayed file list contains hundreds or thousands of
> > files/directories, and you don't know the first letters of their name,
> > looking for a substring or a fuzzy pattern by hand with your eyes and
> > via scrolling qualifies as not-at-all trivial.
>
> 	True enough, but then the same is true of a list of badly associated names,
> if not moreso.
>
> > > It can be accomplished as quickly as you can move your hand.
> > > The use of find and/or locate will dig up anything, no matter how deeply
> > > hidden in a plethora of directories.
> >
> > The question is about a GUI file manager with a specific feature, not
> > about a command line way of doing it.
>
> 	The point - or my point anyway - is rather than seeking to tack on a whole
> bunch of poorly considered features to a poorly considered fundamental
> utility, well considered, powerful, highly configurable solutions such as
> "find" should be encouraged.

And no one said that one couldn't recommend using a command line tool.
But the fact there is a command line tool doesn't make the need of the
same feature in a GUI file manager absurd or irrelevant. And your
opinion on that matter is irrelevant as you are not the one asking for
help.

> > The debian-user list is a communication medium where each and any user
> > of Debian, from "newbie" to "expert" to ask questions and share their
> > knowledge about the project and its features.
>
> 	Why talk about Debian, irrespective of what list this is, when a more
> powerful, simpler, more fundamental utility is available on *ALL* distros?

Being "irrespective" of the list is completely irrelevant to the matter,
as this very list is a Debian one for people needing help about Debian.
Not just the ones you think have a right to ask for help but all of
them.

This fact litteraly makes the whole remains of your mail moot, and I'll
henceforth refrain from answering to it.

Feel free to ignore """lazy""" people from now on, but don't be
irrespectful to them.

You have no right to, and they don't deserve it.

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2