Re: needed: a way to eliminate wasted disk space due to unneeded locale files

On Wed 14 Oct 2020 at 13:19:15 (-0500), Mike McClain wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 04:46:56PM -0400, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> > On 10/13/20, L Godioleskky <lgodio2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > App localepurge eliminates some, but far from all of these un-needed files
> >
> > What's it leaving behind that you would like to see additionally
> > purged? If there's not a known tweak, flag, or something for
> > localepurge, perhaps your needs could become a reportbug wish list
> > item sent to Developers.
> >
> Try this Cindy,
> find / -iname '*zh*'
>
> I get 136 hits after running localepurge and each points to a
> directory with lots of other languages.

I would advise you to consider only the files appearing in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/*.md5sums for possible elimination, rather
than treating the entire filesystem as fair game. By that means,
any accidents can be rectified from easily available .deb files.

I assume the sorts of files you're interested in are those that match
'LC_MESSAGES.*\.mo'. On my system (~2050 packages, no DE/DM), those
7627 files total 358MB, though I'd certainly want to keep the 5½MB
of en_GB ones.

How important you consider this when compared with the 8.7GB occupied
by /usr/, I don't know. (BTW, I've made no allowance for using wc and
MB with LC_MESSAGES, but du and either GiB or GB with /usr/.)

> During the Afghan war the American news reported how many Americans
> had died over there. It seems to me that a good newsman would have
> also reported the Afghani death count but I never heard one.    - MM

I don't understand what MM means by "newsman". There are many
journalists (and inhabitants) working at great risk to their own
lives (and families), reporting from the "other side" of war zones.
How much of that reporting is carried by American news outlets
is determined by the outlets' editorial policies. Is that what
"newsman" might refer to?

Cheers,
David.