Re: Please be respectful

ditto

On 10/15/20 6:58 AM, grumpy@mailfence.com wrote:
Reading this thread reinforces just how old I am
The whole world seems to be wearing their feelings on the sleeve

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

Weaver,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 02:12:45AM -0700, Weaver wrote:
Being polite is a standard that has to apply to all.

And indeed it does. Even if the OP was not being polite, you are not suddenly given a free pass to write a rude reply. I was really disappointed to see your reply because, as Kaye points out, that kind of attitude reflects poorly on all of us. Please, if you haven't something constructive to offer, just don't post at all.

I consider the original post not to be.

Hopefully it's now clear to you that you are mistaken since the OP's requirement is shared by several others.

Kaye,

I use Nemo and at least out-of-the-box, it does not do what you want.
From what I recall GNOME's Nautilus file manager might do. However, at
least by default, Nautilus performs a recursive search for all paths that match under the current directory when you start typing to search.  For me, this is a blocker to using Nautilus (I could not risk, say, confidential HR documents flashing up when a colleague was in front of my screen. Although that's not going to happen any time soon)

The feature you want is sometimes described as "fuzzy searching". The command-line tool "fzf" does it, although it's a grep-like tool, not a file manager. There are plugins for Vim to do the same thing too (likewise, not a file manager). But perhaps looking for fuzzy searching as a feature will help.

Best wishes

--

Please don't CC me, I am subscribed to the list.

Jonathan Dowland
https://jmtd.net