Re: crc not installed but rsync using it? ...

On Fri 25 Sep 2020 at 17:21:03 +0100, Tixy wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-09-25 at 18:07 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Vi, 25 sep 20, 10:23:43, Michael Stone wrote:
> > > On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 09:01:26AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > >
> [...]
> > >
> > > You post this all the time, but it's irrelevant at best and misleading at
> > > worst. On a default debian system these days an external firewall is
> > > basically a noop because there are no services listening.
> >
> > Well, besides exim (still installed by default as far as I know), CUPS
> > (probably pulled by most DEs)
>
> On my lamptop exim and cups are only listening on address 127.0.0.1.
> The only other listening process is init (systemd) listening on 0.0.0.0
> port 111. Hmm, that's rpcbind, installed by using NFS shares? Good job
> I have a firewall between me and the internet ;-) (But seriously, one
> thing I hadn't considerer for the very rare time I use public wifi).

An exim4 installation does indeed only listen on localhost:

  dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1 ; ::1'

in /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf.

Also, exim4 has Priority: optional and is no longer part of a default
installation.

The default cupsd.conf has

  Listen localhost:631

A dd-wrt based router using packet filtering contributes nothing in
this situation.

--
Brian.