Re: crc not installed but rsync using it? ...

On Vi, 25 sep 20, 10:23:43, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 09:01:26AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Your paranoia is excessive. I have 5 machines online ATM, but they are
> > all on a local network in the 1902.168.xx.xx block, which is NOT
> > routable from the internet but are NAT'd to my net address by having

NAT is just a nuisance, in *both* directions.

> > such a setup in a router running dd-wrt. In nearly 2 decades, no one has
> > come into my systems from the internet that I didn't give the
> > credentials to do so.
>
> You post this all the time, but it's irrelevant at best and misleading at
> worst. On a default debian system these days an external firewall is
> basically a noop because there are no services listening.

Well, besides exim (still installed by default as far as I know), CUPS
(probably pulled by most DEs) and SSH server (quite common for many
users), plenty of other softwares are listening on some port, e.g. mpd,
syncthing (web interface), qbittorrent-nox (web interface), barrier,
just to name a few.

Most of these have some sort of password protection available, which may
or may not be enabled by default, assuming it's even reasonably secure.

A firewall does provide and additional layer of protection for them.

> The attack vector
> in modern environments is much more likely to be client exploits (e.g., web
> browser) and a perimeter firewall adds zero protection from that threat.

Agreed.

> And, honestly, most people who are compromised have no clue that they are
> unless someone tells them.

Agreed as well.

> Telling people that all they need to do is install a perimeter firewall and
> then they're secure is simply wrong.

Yep.

Kind regards,
Andrei