Re: crc not installed but rsync using it? ...

On Friday 25 September 2020 10:23:43 Michael Stone wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 09:01:26AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >Your paranoia is excessive. I have 5 machines online ATM, but they
> > are all on a local network in the 1902.168.xx.xx block, which is NOT
> > routable from the internet but are NAT'd to my net address by having
> > such a setup in a router running dd-wrt. In nearly 2 decades, no one
> > has come into my systems from the internet that I didn't give the
> > credentials to do so.
>
> You post this all the time, but it's irrelevant at best and misleading
> at worst. On a default debian system these days an external firewall
> is basically a noop because there are no services listening. The
> attack vector in modern environments is much more likely to be client
> exploits (e.g., web browser) and a perimeter firewall adds zero
> protection from that threat.
>
> And, honestly, most people who are compromised have no clue that they
> are unless someone tells them.
>
> Telling people that all they need to do is install a perimeter
> firewall and then they're secure is simply wrong.

I usually give the OP credit for not clicking on the links he runs across
that aren't on the up and up. I dunno, but the odor about them seems to
be warning enough for me.  If OTOH, the OP succumbs, then he/she is
going to get bit eventually and there is little you or I can do to stop
it.

It all boils down to a believeing in TANSTAAFL. We both obviously have
experiences going back decades, and thats my experience. I find
TANSTAAFL to be a law that you can't break if you tried. Like a western
actor whose real name was Marion Morrison once said, stupid should hurt.
What he didn't say was that it also should teach. And I don't believe we
can argue about that.

Stay safe and well Michael.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)