Re: spurious CR/LF on tty (was: how to remove GUI)

On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 at 05:18, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Greg Wooledge composed on 2020-09-11 11:42 (UTC-0400):
> > On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 10:35:46 -0500, David Wright wrote:
>
> >> That's the first mention of this phenomenon I recall seeing since I posted
> >> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/03/msg01030.html
> >> (which dealt mainly with a more serious problem).
>
> >> I never install a DE/DM and all that stuff, but I get the cursor
> >> movement nonetheless. Is that what you're saying?
>
> > It's not as serious as what you reported in the 2018 thread.  It's just
> > an occasional glitch, not easily reproducible, with a trivial workaround.
>
> > I only mention it because once in a while, someone sees something like
> > it and freaks out, thinking the computer is locked up or whatever.  They
> > don't realize they can just hit the Enter key and get a fresh login
> > prompt, and all is fine.
>
> I have too many installations to keep track of which exhibit this nuisance or not,
> but I'm guessing most if not all Buster and Bullseye do it, and maybe even Stretch
> & Jessie, which I'm rarely booting any more.

And regarding "just hit the enter key ... and all is fine", this
behaviour does not just occur at a login prompt. If you login quickly
as root to a minimal install as I often do, this behaviour occurs
during root console use, and if one is half-way through typing a
command which suddenly disappears from view, pressing enter could be a
recipe for disaster.

(eg dd before I have added the count= parameter).

So my habit when it occurs has become to: ctrl-u, enter, ctrl-y.

Between that and kernel messages barfing into the terminal text, it's
a pretty shitty user-experience that is embarrassing when observed by
users of any other OS.