Re: spurious CR/LF on tty (was: how to remove GUI)

On Fri 11 Sep 2020 at 15:18:10 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:
> Greg Wooledge composed on 2020-09-11 11:42 (UTC-0400):
> > On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 10:35:46 -0500, David Wright wrote:
>
> >> That's the first mention of this phenomenon I recall seeing since I posted
> >> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/03/msg01030.html
> >> (which dealt mainly with a more serious problem).
>
> >> I never install a DE/DM and all that stuff, but I get the cursor
> >> movement nonetheless. Is that what you're saying?
>
> > It's not as serious as what you reported in the 2018 thread.  It's just
> > an occasional glitch, not easily reproducible, with a trivial workaround.
>
> > I only mention it because once in a while, someone sees something like
> > it and freaks out, thinking the computer is locked up or whatever.  They
> > don't realize they can just hit the Enter key and get a fresh login
> > prompt, and all is fine.
>
> I have too many installations to keep track of which exhibit this nuisance or not,
> but I'm guessing most if not all Buster and Bullseye do it, and maybe even Stretch
> & Jessie, which I'm rarely booting any more.

For me, it started with stretch and continues with buster (not used
bullseye yet). I installed my first stretch on the lenovo with the
more serious problem—reporting that was the only reason I also
mentioned the spurious CR. (I first thought they might be related,
of course.) I hadn't realised anybody else saw them.

Apologies to Greg, I misuderstood the import of your posting,
thinking that the CR had something to do with configuring a
graphical.target without a DM. Duh. I guess you meant that
someone new to a VC login, after always having used a DM login
in the past, might hit this bug and freak out.

Cheers,
David.