Re: how to remove GUI

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 11:33:21PM -0500, Michael Morgan wrote:
> Dear friend,
>

> I recently installed Debian 9.13 on my machine. I was planning to use it for
> scientific computation so GUI is not necessary. For some reason, I installed
> the desktop environment with LXDE desktop during installation. Later I
> decided to remove them. These two commands were executed:

[...]

Hello,

may I interject here.
First, is there a particular reason why you installed an older version of
debian?

And second, there is no real reason to go through all of this.
You can make the non gui the default.
With systemd:
systemctl set-default multi-user.target

At that point also disable hibernate and suspend:
systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target

And last, debian has pure blends for specific fields:
https://www.debian.org/blends/

May I suggest Debian Science here?

-H

--