Re: LEAN Debian install: Exploring task selection menu

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 07:44:26PM +0100, Brian wrote:
On Thu 10 Sep 2020 at 14:15:49 -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
People are overthinking this. If you want more control, just skip the
software selection screen altogether. If you're going to nit-pick over what
gets installed when using it, you aren't the target audience.

I am unsure that really addresses Marco Möller's point. What he and
other users fail to appreciate is that "Debian desktop environment"
means "Debian default desktop environment". The issue is that what the
default is is not specified. It could, of course, be anything. Maybe
the user does not want this particular distribution's default. I do not
think this is nit-picking.

Maybe not, but my point is that you use the task selections to get a bunch of software, and it's going to err on the side of giving you too much. If getting stuff you don't want is not acceptable, just don't use the tasks because they're the wrong tool for whatever you're doing. If getting stuff you don't want is acceptable, then it really doesn't matter if you get an extra gnome, right?