Re: LEAN Debian install: Exploring task selection menu

On 10.09.20 18:43, David Wright wrote:
On Thu 10 Sep 2020 at 08:24:41 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
On 09/10/2020 02:28 AM, Marco Möller wrote:
On 10.09.20 08:13, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 09/09/2020 12:12 PM, Brian wrote:
On Wed 09 Sep 2020 at 19:56:05 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Mi, 09 sep 20, 08:27:13, Richard Owlett wrote:

    1. Download bandwidth or data cap constraints.
       {aggravated by treating "recommends" as "depends"}

If you are referring to package maintainers declaring Depends on other
packages where it should be just a Recommends, do note it is often a
side effect of users disabling automatic installation of Recommends and
then complaining about missing functionality.

I believe the OP is referring to debootstrap's inability to install only
Depends:.

No. Apt and cousins allow not installing recommends. There was
a recent thread where someone stated that option not available
when installing the system. More when I wake up.

Maybe make a minimum install first, then change the global apt
configuration to always apply "--no-install-recommends" as the
predefined parameter if no other flag would be added by the user
to the apt command, and only afterwards enrich your installation
by installing the packages which you need.

*ROFL* with MASSIVE *GRIN* ;/

In my original post I had phrased that as:>> My proposed alternative
is to leave unchecked all options on the
"Software Selection" menu and create appropriate pseudo-packages
to be installed with "apt-get --no-install-recommends"

I take it you agree, ten.

You could call "tasksel" again, if you want to use the software
bundle selection menu which you have seen during the initial
installation.

I don't follow what you are trying to say there.

In words of several syllables, you could call "tasksel" again:

   $ tasksel --list-tasks
   u desktop       Debian desktop environment
   u gnome-desktop GNOME
   u xfce-desktop  Xfce
   u kde-desktop   KDE Plasma
   u cinnamon-desktop      Cinnamon
   u mate-desktop  MATE
   u lxde-desktop  LXDE
   u lxqt-desktop  LXQt
   u web-server    web server
   i print-server  print server
   i ssh-server    SSH server
   u laptop        laptop
   $

… if you want to use the software bundle selection menu
   (which you have seen during the initial installation):

   ┌───────────────────────────┤ [!] Software selection ├────────────────────────────┐
   │                                                                                 │
   │ At the moment, only the core of the system is installed. To tune the system     │
   │ to your needs, you can choose to install one or more of the following           │
   │ predefined collections of software.                                             │
   │                                                                                 │
   │ Choose software to install:                                                     │
   │                                                                                 │
   │                          [ ] Debian desktop environment                         │
   │                          [ ] ... GNOME                                          │
   │                          [ ] ... Xfce                                           │
   │                          [ ] ... KDE                                            │
   │                          [ ] ... Cinnamon                                       │
   │                          [ ] ... MATE                                           │
   │                          [ ] ... LXDE                                           │
   │                          [ ] web server                                         │
   │                          [*] print server                                       │
   │                          [*] SSH server                                         │
   │                          [*] standard system utilities                          │
   │                                                                                 │
   │                                   <Continue>                                    │
   │                                                                                 │
   └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

So I might call tasksel to install a web server if I forgot to check
it when I ran the installer.

You should remind, that if in the tasksel menu deselecting all
specifically named Desktop Environments (Gnome, Xfce, KDE, ...)
but still selecting the top entry "Debian desktop environment"
then a full blown Gnome environment will be downloaded and
installed.

I discovered that long ago. I consider that a bug, but the Debian team
likely considers that a feature.

So what would your version of an installer do when presented with:

   │  [*] Debian desktop environment │
   │  [ ] ... GNOME                  │
   │  [ ] ... Xfce                   │
   │  [ ] ... KDE                    │
   │  [ ] ... Cinnamon               │
   │  [ ] ... MATE                   │
   │  [ ] ... LXDE                   │

You could also look out for package bundles with the name prefix
"task-". For instance "apt search task- | grep mate" will show you
that a bundle package "task-mate-desktop" exists. "apt show
task-mate-desktop" will show you the list of packages which this
bundle package will draw in. Among the listed packages there might
appear other bundles, therefore iterate with "apt show" through
the listed package names for getting ahead some idea of all
packages which would become installed.

I think Greg has pointed me in the right direction when he suggested
"  aptitude search '~pStandard' " to deal with another aspect of my
problem. Today's assignment is reading the user manual.

Cheers,
David.

> So what would your version of an installer do when presented with:
>
>    │  [*] Debian desktop environment │
>    │  [ ] ... GNOME                  │
>    │  [ ] ... Xfce                   │
>    │  [ ] ... Cinnamon               │
>    │  [ ] ... MATE                   │
>    │  [ ] ... LXDE                   │

I agree with Richard's criticism and would suggest to not present that first line "Debian desktop environment" at all, because it is redundant with the second line "... GNOME". If someone deselects the second line because no wanting GNOME, but does not image what the first line might contain, then he will be surprised that GNOME became anyway fully installed after the first line was still selected, a behaviour which makes no sense after the second line was explicitly not selected. It is especially annoying if you did this selection "mistake" on slow or expensive bandwidth. When I first time did this mistake, I thought, hey, maybe for a desktop they will install already something like network manager and other network managing tools or a tiny collection of enhanced editors like vim instead of vi only, maybe some other cute utilities. But I ended up with looong time downloading and installing a full blown GNOME which I actually wanted to avoid and therefore did unselect the second line initially.
Best regards, Marco.