Re: Why start the first partition at 2 MIB, why not at any multiple of 4096 bytes ...

On Thu 10 Sep 2020 at 16:02:59 (+1000), David wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 at 11:26, David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> > On 2020-09-09 08:03, David Wright wrote:
>
> > > ... having been bitten by
> > > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=923561
>
> > I have a 300 GB drive that has been causing me some confusion.  Did I
> > elicity the bug when I partitioned the disk as follows?
>
> I have not read all relevant messages, but in case it helps you can
> check your exact device partition boundaries by running:

My choice would be   fdisk -l   or   gdisk -l   for the partition
table, but I'm not sure what to ask for in terms of the encryption:
I don't know what options are available, nor how to interrogate for
them after the event. But IIRC the alignment problem was logged in
kern.log, so any output when the partition is unlocked and mounted
might be useful.

> parted /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3300622AS_******** 'unit compact print
> free unit s print free unit b print free'

I don't like parted particularly, and don't know what "free" does.
Can you elucidate?

$ man parted | grep -i free
$ info --output=/dev/stdout --subnodes parted | grep -i free
  Feel free to ask for help on this list -- just check that your
GNU Parted is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License
in the COPYING file.  If not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
     the Free Translation Project.
   * 'COPYING.DOC' - the GNU Free Documentation Licence, the term under
   * 'INSTALL' -- how to compile and install Parted, and most other free
* GNU Free Documentation License::  License for copying this manual
File: parted.info,  Node: GNU Free Documentation License,  Up: Copying This Manual
A.1 GNU Free Documentation License
     Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2007, 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
     functional and useful document "free" in the sense of freedom: to
     assure everyone the effective freedom to copy and redistribute it,
     works of the document must themselves be free in the same sense.
     license designed for free software.
     free software, because free software needs free documentation: a
     free program should come with manuals providing the same freedoms
     grants a world-wide, royalty-free license, unlimited in duration,
     network protocols a complete Transparent copy of the Document, free
     The Free Software Foundation may publish new, revised versions of
     the GNU Free Documentation License from time to time.  Such new
     published (not as a draft) by the Free Software Foundation.  If the
     choose any version ever published (not as a draft) by the Free
       under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3
       or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation;
       Free Documentation License''.
recommend releasing these examples in parallel under your choice of free
their use in free software.
  This manual is distributed under the GNU Free Documentation License,
the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, with no
* FDL, GNU Free Documentation License:   GNU Free Documentation License.
$

Cheers,
David.