Re: LEAN Debian install: Exploring task selection menu

On 09/10/2020 12:34 PM, Marco Möller wrote:

I agree with Richard's criticism and would suggest to not present that first line "Debian desktop environment" at all, because it is redundant with the second line "... GNOME". If someone deselects the second line because no wanting GNOME, but does not image what the first line might contain, then he will be surprised that GNOME became anyway fully installed after the first line was still selected, a behaviour which makes no sense after the second line was explicitly not selected. It is especially annoying if you did this selection "mistake" on slow or expensive bandwidth. When I first time did this mistake, I thought, hey, maybe for a desktop they will install already something like network manager and other network managing tools or a tiny collection of enhanced editors like vim instead of vi only, maybe some other cute utilities. But I ended up with looong time downloading and installing a full blown GNOME which I actually wanted to avoid and therefore did unselect the second line initially.

Yepp ;/