Re: FOSS equivalents of *OLD* database and spreadsheet tools?

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 16:04:16 -0400
Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 09:52:28PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >And, in Greg's defense, he provided some code, something no
> >one of us did -- I'd say this round goes to him ;-)
>
> How? The OP request was for something simpler than SQL (presumably
> because he didn't want to learn SQL?), so the response "learn SQL
> anyway, and in addition learn my favorite language as a way to pass
> the SQL commands to the backend" simply misses the point.

The OP is in a learning experience, it's what retirement is for.

Very basic SQL, no more than a few queries, is an appropriate thing to
learn, along with the (minimal) care and feeding of MySQL/MariaDb. I've
never really gone beyond select, insert, delete and update queries,
resorting to Google to temporarily learn to add users, change
privileges etc. As a hobbyist, I've never needed to go near stored
procedures, transactions etc.

I was once SQLphobic, avoiding the use of applications which required a
MySQL database, looking around for 'simpler' ways to do things, which
invariably required more work. Eventually I was forced into it, and I
currently have more than 20 domestic, business and experimental
databases running in MariaDb. I added another a week ago, and when I
work up the enthusiasm, I'll make a user interface for it. I have at
least one database whose only user interface is PhpMyAdmin...

--
Joe