Re: FOSS equivalents of *OLD* database and spreadsheet tools?

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 02:45:58PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> Since you probably would like an application with a nice interface
> (curses, GUI, web), I'd suggest PHP. The platform for your interface is
> in the server and the browser; you just have to write some HTML, which
> is pretty easy. Otherwise, you're looking at fiddly code with GTK or QT
> (or ncurses).

PHP is a terrible language, and I wouldn't recommend it as a starting
point for anything but failure.  Also, I wouldn't assume that the OP
wants a web interface.  If anything, he probably wants a command line
tool that only runs on localhost.  (And then he'll tack on new insane
restrictions later.  "Of course I wanted it to run on a 20x2 LCD!
And it has to fit on a 5.25" floppy!  You should have known that!!")

Crazy undocumented criteria aside, Tcl, Perl and Python would all suit
this project extremely well, I think.  The OP should choose whichever
of those 3 he likes best, and learn how to talk to a database with it.
If a pure command line interface is desired, then there's not much else he
needs to know.  If a GUI interface is desired, all 3 of those languages
have Tk bindings.

For a project of this size and scope, a Tcl application with an sqlite3
database in a local file seems well suited.