Re: FOSS equivalents of *OLD* database and spreadsheet tools?

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 12:38:10PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Back in 70's/80's I wrote programs as part of routine job duties.
>   {8080/8085 assembler, dBase and Paradox}
> Neither I, nor my employers, classed me as a "programmer".
> I was "Senior Engineering Tech" or "Junior Engineer".
> IOW, I was not in abject *AWE* of computers. *ROFL*
>
> Right now I'm working on a personal project.
> INPUT:	How much of what did I eat?
> OUTPUT:	How much [cal/protein/fiber] did I eat?
>
> SQL {and variants} seen to dominate all else.
> IIRC, dBase was simpler.
>
> What current FOSS system might I be comfortable with?

I used dBase (FoxPro) and Paradox decades ago. My advice: learn SQL and
select the DBMS of your choice. SQLite3, PostgreSQL, MySQL. For
portability and low traffic, I'd select SQLite3.

Gone are the days of xBase and the like. SQL is the lingua franca for
all modern database systems. And SQLite3 has bindings for most modern
languages.

Since you probably would like an application with a nice interface
(curses, GUI, web), I'd suggest PHP. The platform for your interface is
in the server and the browser; you just have to write some HTML, which
is pretty easy. Otherwise, you're looking at fiddly code with GTK or QT
(or ncurses).

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster